Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YOU ARE THERE - Reality Video: Osprey Family, Hellgate Canyon, Missoula, Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOU ARE THERE - Reality Video: Osprey Family, Hellgate Canyon, Missoula, Montana

YOU ARE THERE - LIVE!

Reality Video: Osprey Family, Hellgate Canyon, Missoula, Montana

Just click the following link and you will be immediately tele-transported to visit an osprey family's home where you will have the unique opportunity to share in their joys and also, perhaps their sorrows, in the coming weeks.

Come back often to check on progress! View the live-stream video at:

6/15/2013 - The eggs, which mom is now so carefully and patiently tending, will hatch (we hope) soon

6/19/2013 - Two baby ospreys hatched

6/26/2013 - Both babies are apparently doing well. They are now often visible in the nest.

7/4/2013 - Both chicks have grown much larger since my last observation and update. They now appear to have pin feathers and can 'almost' stand up for brief periods. Mother seems to spend much of her time shielding them from the hot, summer, Montana sun with her wings and body.

7/13/2013 - Both youngsters appear to be growing rapidly. I saw one of them recently standing rather confidently near the edge of the nest. Father osprey had just returned to the nest with a small fish that was quickly torn into 'bite sized' pieces for Mama and the kids. Father now seems to be rearranging some of the sticks in the nest, perhaps to give a bit more room for his familyl

8/24/2013 - OMG and Damn! ..... I apologize for not keeping us updated on our osprey family. Sorry! All I can see now on the video cam is an EMPTY NEST. I missed all the action! Apparently, the baby birds both learned how to fly and the entire family has migrated south (likely to either Forida, Central America or South America) to spend the winter.

8/25/2013, UPDATE: OPPS! I see today that at least one member of our osprey family is back in the nest, happily eating a fish. I suspect a wildfire in the area seriously disrupted the osprey's normal routine and caused them to abandon the nest for awhile. See the following link:
    http://missoulian.com/news/local/mon...a4bcf887a.html
    Last edited by bsteadman; 08-25-2013, 09:28 PM.
    B. Steadman

Osprey -- The Ultimate Fisher

B. Steadman

Comment

Dang! That Osprey really and truly is the ultimate fisher!

Comment

Two osprey babies hatched 6/19/2013

Photo link:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...48947508_n.jpg
        B. Steadman

Comment

WOW & DOUBLE WOW . Those osprey are more powerful than I realized . The flounder was at least
          1 1/2 pounds , and the salmon at least 3 - 4 pounds . There are thousands of osprey in Florida , and
          it is a pleasure to watch them catch mullet , and build their monstrous stick nests along the overseas
          highway to Key West . While boating along the intracoastal waterway , you can see dozens of Osprey
          catching fish and standing on one leg to eat them . Great video .

Comment

View the 7/13/2013 update added to initial post.

7/13/2013 - Both youngsters appear to be growing rapidly. I saw one of them recently standing rather confidently near the edge of the nest. Father osprey had just returned to the nest with a small fish that was quickly torn into 'bite sized' pieces for Mama and the kids. Father now seems to be rearranging some of the sticks in the nest, perhaps to give a bit more room for his familyl

Temporary 'bump' to provide update to viewers
            B. Steadman

Comment

NOTE: The 7/21/2013 video shown below is NOT from the same 'Hellgate Canyon' Osprey Nest site that we are currently following.

However, the Dunrovin site is also located in Montana. It is of current interest because one of the young Ospreys is shown FOR THE FIRST TIME: (1) practicing flight basics while in the nest, (2) working up the necessary courage and confidence, then (3) flying away from the nest and finally (4) returning safely to the nest!

Video 2013 07 21 101517 DUNROVIN OSPREY, PERCY FLIES!!!!

Last edited by bsteadman; 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM.
              B. Steadman

Comment

I apologize for not keeping us updated on our osprey family. Sorry!

All I can see now on the video cam is an EMPTY NEST. I missed all the action!

Apparently, the baby birds both learned how to fly and the entire family has migrated south (likely to either Forida, Central America or South America) to spend the winter.

UPDATE, 8/25/2013:

OPPS! I see today that at least one member of our osprey family is back in the nest, happily eating a fish. I suspect a wildfire in the area seriously disrupted the osprey's normal routine and caused them to abandon the nest for awhile. See the following link:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/mon...a4bcf887a.html
                Last edited by bsteadman; 08-25-2013, 09:24 PM.
                B. Steadman

Comment

BRUCE , you might be right about the osprey family moving to Florida near me .
                  There are thousands of osprey here and they have plenty to eat , with all the mullet in this area .
                  They build huge nests with sticks and tree limbs in all the tall power poles on U.S. 1 going toward Key West .

Comment

Working...
                  X