No announcement yet.

Logic and Defining the "Natural Born Citizen" Clause -- Attorney Mario Apuzzo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic and Defining the "Natural Born Citizen" Clause -- Attorney Mario Apuzzo

Logic and Defining the "Natural Born Citizen" Clause

Natural Born Citizen - A Place to Ask Questions and Get the Right Answer

Mario Apuzzo, Esq.
    11/28/2012

Excerpt:

I recently posted this comment to Keith at Dr. Conspiracy’s blog called, Obama Conspiracy Theories:

“You said: ‘[S]o he [Wong] was a born citizen and therefore he was a natural born citizen.’ This is so logically fallacious. Have you ever heard of the fallacy of affirming the consequent? First, the clause is ‘natural born Citizen,’ not ‘born Citizen.’ The clause ‘natural born Citizen’ has one and only one definition which is a child born in the country to ‘citizen’ parents. See Minor v. Happersett (1875); U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark (1898). Second, being a born citizen is a necessary condition of being a ‘natural born Citizen.’ It is not a sufficient condition, for the definition also includes birth in the country to citizen parents. Hence, you commit the fallacy of affirming the consequent when you state that if someone is a born citizen he is therefore a ‘natural born Citizen.’

Then a commentator at Dr. Conspiracy’s blog by the name of dunstvangeet posted this reply to me: “Mario, you talk about logical fallacies. You commit the fallacy of Denying the Antecedent all the time. Your entire argument on Minor is a denial of the Antecedent. If A, then B. Not A. Therefore Not B. If someone is born to two citizen parents and born in the country, then they are a natural born citizen. A is not born to two citizen parents and born in the country, therefore A is not a natural born citizen. Classic case of denying the antecedent. So, you lecturing someone on logical fallacies just broke my irony meter.”

My advice to dunstvangeet which I posted in the same thread is that he should go back to logic school and get his irony meter fixed.

.................................................. .

View the complete article at:

http://puzo1.blogspot.com/2012/11/lo...n-citizen.html
    B. Steadman
Working...
X