• Show
Clear All

• Signs accumulate that liberals are embarrassed by Obama -- American Thinker

Signs accumulate that liberals are embarrassed by Obama

American Thinker

Thomas Lifson
    10/7/2012

Excerpt:

"President Obama's poor debate performance may have shattered some illusions among his supporters in the liberal media elite. Having invested themselves in the illusion of him as the fulfillment of the liberal dream of shattering glass ceilings and pernicious racial stereotypes, his evident lack of preparation felt like a betrayal to some. They are starting to catch on that they bought into an illusion. So they are turning on him.

Witness the shocking empty chair cover on the New Yorker, edited by Obama hagiographer David Remnick: (image of October 15, 2012 Cover, 'The New Yorker' magazine, shown in article)

The comments which follow savaging Obama are worth reading, too. Perhaps, as Cliff Thier suggests, the cover "has brought a very downmarket element to the New Yorker's web site. Very uncouth comments. It's like a motorcycle gang has invaded a bucolic college campus."

Then there is Bill Maher, who famously donated a million dollars to an Obama superPAC. During the debate he tweeted that Obama really does need a teleprompter, and on his latest show joked that Obama took his million bucks and must have spent it all on weed.

Many of us have long recognized the indisputable signs of a lazy man who has never been challenged, and who thinks he walks on water. A man who has been blessed with all the breaks, and yet who thinks of himself as the member of a victim class, and its natural champion. A man whose success is all based on creating the appearance of competence, never its substance.

Now that Obama stands under the spotlight and faces an adversary able to outshine him, the illusion is crumbling. Expect more derision.

Lurking in the background is the specter of becoming a laughingstock. James Taranto, in a brilliant WSJ column, invokes the ultimate peril: becoming like George Costanza of Seinfeld. Describing Obama's attempt the day after the debate to supply adequate rejoinders:

The Washington Post's Chris Cillizza summed it up nicely in a tweet: "Obama hitting back today at all of Romney's attacks last night is the ultimate Costanza 'jerk store' moment." (If you don't understand the reference, you can watch the relevant "Seinfeld" clip on YouTube. And you'll know things have really gotten bad for Obama if he tries the Kramer gambit after the next debate.)

Ridicule is a fast spreading contagion. It once was confined to the conservative blogosphere and talk radio. Now it has breached the walls of the media elite.

View the complete article at:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/..._by_obama.html
    B. Steadman

Video: Jerkstore

http://youtu.be/xwfioD-ING8
    Last edited by bsteadman; 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM.
    B. Steadman

Comment

Not the Man He Thought He Knew

What Mitt Romney and Jeremiah Wright have in common.

Wall Street Journal

James Taranto
      10/5/2012

Excerpt:

"Barack Obama has an explanation for his poor performance in Wednesday night's debate: The other guy was an impostor. "When I got onto the stage, I met this very spirited fellow who claimed to be Mitt Romney," the president said at a Denver rally yesterday:

But it couldn't have been Mitt Romney--because the real Mitt Romney has been running around the country for the last year promising $5 trillion in tax cuts that favor the wealthy. The fellow on stage last night said he didn't know anything about that.

The real Mitt Romney said we don't need any more teachers in our classrooms. . . . But the fellow on stage last night, he loves teachers--can't get enough of them.

The Mitt Romney we all know invested in companies that were called "pioneers" of outsourcing jobs to other countries. But the guy on stage last night, he said that he doesn't even know that there are such laws that encourage outsourcing--he's never heard of them. Never heard of them. Never heard of tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. He said that if it's true, he must need a new accountant.

Now, we know for sure it was not the real Mitt Romney, because he seems to be doing just fine with his current accountant. So you see, the man on stage last night, he does not want to be held accountable for the real Mitt Romney's decisions and what he's been saying for the last year.

According to the White House website, the rally began at 10:30 a.m. Mountain Time, which means it took Obama and his team of writers less than 14 hours to generate these comebacks.

The Washington Post's Chris Cillizza summed it up nicely in a tweet: "Obama hitting back today at all of Romney's attacks last night is the ultimate Costanza 'jerk store' moment." (If you don't understand the reference, you can watch the relevant "Seinfeld" clip on YouTube. And you'll know things have really gotten bad for Obama if he tries the Kramer gambit after the next debate.)

But Obama's comments yesterday reflect a defect more serious than a feeble wit. They remind us of something he said 4½ years ago--on April 29, 2008, to be exact. Here's the transcript:

Before I start taking questions I want to open it up with a couple of comments about what we saw and heard yesterday. I have spent my entire adult life trying to bridge the gap between different kinds of people. That's in my DNA, trying to promote mutual understanding to insist that we all share common hopes and common dreams as Americans and as human beings. That's who I am. That's what I believe. That's what this campaign has been about.

Yesterday we saw a very different vision of America. I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened over the spectacle that we saw yesterday. You know, I have been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ since 1992. I have known Reverend Wright for almost 20 years. The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago.

His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church. They certainly don't portray accurately my values and beliefs. And if Reverend Wright thinks that that's political posturing, as he put it, then he doesn't know me very well. And based on his remarks yesterday, well, I may not know him as well as I thought either.

To be sure, there is reason to doubt Obama's sincerity in 2008 (as we did at the time). As to Romney, there is no doubt Obama did seriously misjudge him, unless one wishes to posit the unlikely theory that the president deliberately threw the debate.

But for the purpose of this column, we are going to take Obama at his word. That is, we shall proceed under the assumption that what he wants us to believe about him is true.

Jeremiah Wright and Mitt Romney are two of the most important men in Barack Obama's life, and for reasons that transcend the merely personal. His dealings with them are crucial to his relationships, respectively, with God and with his country. He called Wright his "spiritual mentor" and credited him with saving his soul; and Romney stands between him and his professed aspirations not only for himself but for America.

In 20 years in that church, he failed to see the evil side of Wright. In four years of preparing for re-election, he saw Romney only as an ideological stick figure. In short, he misjudged both men utterly. And he blames them for it.

Obama seems to lack the basic emotional skill--surely of enormous importance to any task of political leadership--of accurately sizing up other men, whether they be allies or rivals, and of adjusting his view of them to take account of new information."

View the complete comment at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...345997206.html
      Last edited by bsteadman; 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM.
      B. Steadman

Comment

THE POOR PERFORMANCE OF obummer IN THE DEBATE IS NOT IMPORTANT . THE BLARING CONVICTION AND CONDEMNATION IS
        HIS HORRIBLE PERFORMANCE IN THE OVAL OFFICE AND ALL AROUND THE WORLD . HE HAS DONE NOTHING GOOD AND EVERYTHING
        BAD TO PROVE THAT HE IS UNAMERICAN / ANTIAMERICAN , INEPT , INCOMPETENT , COMMUNISTIC , MUSLIM ENABLING BASTARD .

Comment

Working...
        X