• Show
Clear All

• Holder answer on contempt charge shows disrespect for more than Congress

Holder answer on contempt charge shows disrespect for more than Congress

Examiner

David Codrea, Gun Rights Examiner
    2/28/2013

Excerpt:

Reacting to statements by Attorney General Eric Holder that he did not respect members of Congress, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa issued a statement today calling the head of the Justice Department “arrogantly dismissive.”

Holders comments came in an ABC News interview Wednesday, responding to a question by Pierre Thomas about being found in contempt of Congress over the Fast and Furious gunwalking scandal.

“I have to tell you that for me to really be affected by what happened, I’d have to have respect for the people who voted in that way,” Holder replied. “And I didn’t, so it didn’t have that huge an impact on me.”

“Attorney General Holder’s admission that he does not respect the Democratic and Republican Members of Congress who voted to hold him in contempt offers a window into why Washington is so dysfunctional,” Issa responded. “President Obama once campaigned as someone who wanted to bring America together but instead appointed divisive and highly partisan figures like Attorney General Holder who are arrogantly dismissive of those who question them and demand transparency.

“Finding out why the Justice Department made false denials about Operation Fast and Furious, and only corrected the record after ten months of public pressure, is a legitimate exercise of congressional authority,” Issa concluded. “The Attorney General clearly believes he is above the law and is not accountable to the duly elected representatives of the American people or the institutions of our democracy.”

Left unsaid is if Holder feels the same sentiment toward other people seeking answers who have also criticized the Attorney General for his conduct, the family of murdered Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

"Attorney General Eric Holder's refusal to fully disclose the documents associated with Operation Fast and Furious and President Obama's assertion of executive privilege serves to compound this tragedy,” parents Josephine and Kent Terry Sr. said in a statement the family released last June. “It denies the Terry family and the American people the truth.”

Since this is essentially the same position taken by Chairman Issa and the members of Congress, including 17 Democrats, who voted to hold the Attorney General in contempt, it would appear Holder’s disrespect must, as a simple matter of logical consistency, extend to the murdered agent’s parents as well, and to every American seeking the truth about Fast and Furious.

View the complete article at:

http://www.examiner.com/article/hold...-than-congress
    B. Steadman
Working...
X