• Show
Clear All

• Trump and Fox at war: Neither side is backing down -- CNN, Brian Stelter

Trump and Fox at war: Neither side is backing down

CNN

Brian Stelter
    1/27/2016

Excerpt:

One day after publicly duking it out, Donald Trump and Fox News have retreated to their corners. And now everyone's wondering what will happen on Thursday night.

Trump says he will skip Fox's debate and hold a "special event" to raise money for veterans. The event at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, will start right at 9 p.m. Eastern, the same time as the debate, creating a high-stakes ratings competition straight out of a network executive's dream.

Fox has removed Trump's photo from its debate promos. The network is staunchly defending its host, Trump's nemesis Megyn Kelly, who will co-moderate on Thursday.

Still, Trump will be making an appearance on the network on Wednesday night: A pre-taped interview with Bill O'Reilly will air on "The O'Reilly Factor," at 8 p.m. Kelly's show follows at 9 p.m.

Trump essentially called Kelly a "bimbo" on Wednesday morning in a backhanded tweet that: "I refuse to call Megyn Kelly a bimbo, because that would not be politically correct. Instead I will only call her a lightweight reporter!"

He followed up Wednesday evening and said: "It was the childishly written & taunting PR statement by Fox that made me not do the debate, more so than lightweight reporter, Megyn Kelly."

For days Trump had been calling Kelly "biased" and claiming she shouldn't be allowed to moderate the debate. After he taunted Kelly in an Instagram video and polled his Twitter followers about whether he should skip the debate, Roger Ailes, the powerful chairman of Fox News and Trump's longtime friend, signed off on a snarky statement about him.

"We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president -- a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings."

Trump was incensed by the statement. "I don't know what games Roger Ailes is playing," he said at a Tuesday evening press conference.

The GOP frontrunner has continued to lambast Fox for insulting him. Meantime, Ailes is furious with the Trump campaign.

.................................................. ...............

View the complete article, including tweets and video, at:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/27/medi...x-megyn-kelly/
    B. Steadman
Working...
X