ITB - NBC and CBS Pounce on Romney's Birth Certificate 'Swipe' at Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITB - NBC and CBS Pounce on Romney's Birth Certificate 'Swipe' at Obama

NBC and CBS Pounce on Romney’s Birth Certificate ‘Swipe’ at Obama: ‘Was It a Joke?’

NewsBusters

Brent Baker
    8/25/2012

Excerpt:

From the CBS Evening News:

SCOTT PELLEY: Now to the presidential campaign. As we mentioned, we came to Birmingham, Michigan, today for an interview with Mitt Romney and his wife Anne. On Monday, at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida, Governor Romney will become the party’s presidential nominee. Just before our interview today, though, he seemed to go out of his way to bring up a discredited charge against President Obama, the old allegation that the President was not born in the United States.

MITT ROMNEY BEFORE CROWD: Now, I love being home in this place where Anne and I were raised, where both of us were born. Anne was born in Henry Ford Hospital, I was born at Harper hospital. No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.

PELLEY: Why did you say that?

ROMNEY: We here in Michigan, Anne and I were both born in Detroit, and a little humor goes a long way. So it was great to be home, to be in a place where Anne and I had grown up and the crowd loved it and got a good laugh.

PELLEY: But this was a swipe at the President and I wonder why you took it?

ROMNEY: No, no, not a swipe. I said throughout the campaign and before there’s no question about where he was born. He was born in the U.S. This was fun about us and coming home and humor, you know, we’ve got to have a little humor in a campaign as well. - (bold emphasis added)

PELLEY: You threw a little red meat at the conservative wing of the party there.

ROMNEY: No, this was all about being home in Michigan, the place we were born and raised.

PELLEY: But once and for all, for the record, you believe that Barack Obama is the legitimate President of the United States?

ROMNEY: I’ve said that probably thirty times now, and thirty-one won’t hurt.

View the complete article at:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-b...ma-was-it-joke
    Last edited by bsteadman; 08-26-2012, 02:27 PM.
    B. Steadman
Working...
X