• Show
Clear All

• ITB - President Obama riffs with Stephen Colbert -- San Jose Mercury News

President Obama riffs with Stephen Colbert

San Jose Mercury News

Compiled by Tony Hicks
    12/9/2014

Excerpt:

President Obama showed up on "The Colbert Report" on Monday night and immediately booted the comedian from his chair.

That's what happens when you invite the guy with the nuclear football over for snacks.

The interview happened in front of 1,500 people at George Washington University. It was Obama's first in-person appearance as president on the "The Colbert Report," according to CBS News, which provided the following dialogue between David Letterman's future successor and the two-term leader of the free world.

Colbert: "President Obama, I'm thrilled that you're here, but I did not expect you for another three minutes."

Obama: "Stephen, you've been taking a lot of shots of my job, I decided I'm gonna go and take a shot of yours."
    President Barack Obama, left, speaks with television personality Stephen Colbert during a taping of Comedy Central’s "The Colbert Report"
    President Barack Obama, left, speaks with television personality Stephen Colbert during a taping of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" in Lisner Auditorium at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Monday, Dec. 8, 2014. (Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg)

The president -- who apparently had nothing better to do -- took a seat behind Colbert's desk and did his monologue as Stephen Colbert, showing some pretty decent comedic timing in the process.

"Nation, as you know I, Stephen Colbert, have never cared for our president," Obama said. "The guy is so arrogant; I bet he talks about himself in the third person."

I bet he really does.

Then, for fun, Obama attacked his health care plan.

"Remember the original Healthcare.gov website? I think that's where Disney got the idea for 'Frozen,'" he said.

Colbert joined him a few minutes later and launched a spirited back-and-forth.
    Advertisement

Colbert: "Why didn't you fix the economy before the midterm elections? You know your job? I would have done it before the election so people were happy when they voted. Then maybe you wouldn't have to come on 'The Colbert Report.'"

Obama: "The truth is the economy had been on a pretty good run."

Colbert: "I'll give it to you; you've employed a lot of people, mostly as secretary of defense."

Obama: "That's boosted our numbers a little bit."

Then Colbert addressed the exact thing I would've: Getting access to the nukes.

Colbert: "You have the nuclear launch codes right?"

Obama: "Yes, I do."

Colbert: "I'm not gonna ask for them, but ... "

Obama: "Good."

Colbert: "Can you tell me if there's a five in there?"

Obama: "No."

They also talked about Obama's family. No, not the one in his birth land of Kenya.
    - (bold and color emphasis added)

View the complete article at:

http://www.mercurynews.com/portal/en...tephen-colbert
    B. Steadman
Working...
X