Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greenwald: I ‘Refuse to Be Exiled from My Own Country for Crime of Doing Journalism’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenwald: I ‘Refuse to Be Exiled from My Own Country for Crime of Doing Journalism’

Greenwald: I ‘Refuse to Be Exiled from My Own Country for Crime of Doing Journalism’

Mediaite

Josh Feldman
    2/19/2014

Excerpt:

Glenn Greenwald was among the recipients of the Polk Award this week, honoring the journalists involved in the NSA leaks from Edward Snowden. Greenwald told HuffPost Live today that he will likely return to the U.S. to accept the award, saying he will face whatever comes his way when he does.

Greenwald recently said he plans on returning to the U.S. despite the insinuations made by members of Congress and intelligence officials that Greenwald could be considered an “accomplice” to Snowden’s actions. He said today it would be “incredibly irrational and even stupid” to not worry about what could happen to him, given what everyone’s been saying, but at this point he’s just had it and wants to finally deal with the issue.

“I absolutely refuse to be exiled from my own country for the crime of doing journalism, and I’m gonna force the issue just on principle, and I think coming back for a ceremony like the Polk Award or other forms of journalistic awards would be a really good symbolic test to put the government in the position of having to arrest journalists who are coming back to the U.S. to receive awards for the journalism they’ve done.”

View the complete article, including video, at:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/green...ng-journalism/
    B. Steadman
Working...
X